ScrollsOfTamriel
New Member
Dawnguard's got Harkon who's basically a tired vampire aristocrat, Serana who gets all the companion attention, and then there's Isran who's just... running Fort Dawnguard and actually has conviction about what he's doing.
Like, the guy watched his entire order get slaughtered by vampires. He's not trying to romance you or monologue about his grand plans. He just wants to kill vampires and protect people. That's it. That's the entire character and it actually works way better than I think people give it credit for.
I've been replaying the DLC and I realized I skip past all his dialogue because I'm used to tuning out quest-givers, but he's genuinely one of the most grounded NPCs in the whole expansion. He doesn't trust you at first because you're literally a stranger asking to join a holy order. That makes sense. He earns his trust in you through actual work, not through flavor text or a quest marker.
And Fort Dawnguard as a base gets a lot of flak but honestly Isran makes it work. He's got a clear mission, the place feels lived-in because people are actually doing stuff there, and unlike Volkihar Castle where it's just Harkon brooding and Serana being sad, there's actual momentum.
Anyone else think Isran got the short end of the stick in terms of how people talk about Dawnguard characters?
Like, the guy watched his entire order get slaughtered by vampires. He's not trying to romance you or monologue about his grand plans. He just wants to kill vampires and protect people. That's it. That's the entire character and it actually works way better than I think people give it credit for.
I've been replaying the DLC and I realized I skip past all his dialogue because I'm used to tuning out quest-givers, but he's genuinely one of the most grounded NPCs in the whole expansion. He doesn't trust you at first because you're literally a stranger asking to join a holy order. That makes sense. He earns his trust in you through actual work, not through flavor text or a quest marker.
And Fort Dawnguard as a base gets a lot of flak but honestly Isran makes it work. He's got a clear mission, the place feels lived-in because people are actually doing stuff there, and unlike Volkihar Castle where it's just Harkon brooding and Serana being sad, there's actual momentum.
Anyone else think Isran got the short end of the stick in terms of how people talk about Dawnguard characters?