Elder Scrolls Skyrim Forum Fan Site

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Frost mage getting wrecked by frost resist enemies—worth pivoting to shock?

DragonbornVet

New Member
I'm on my second playthrough, level 31, pure Destruction mage on Adept. Built into frost hard (Augmented Frost, Impact, the stagger perks) and it carried me through the early game, but now I'm hitting Falmer and draugr with frost resistance and it feels like I'm shooting wet noodles.

Should I respect into shock and start over with those perks, or is there a way to make frost work without feeling completely neutered? I'm not interested in swapping to melee or going full Conjuration—I like the playstyle. Just wondering if I'm hitting a real wall or if I'm missing something about how Destruction scales past level 30.
 
Frost isn't actually dead at level 31, but you're hitting the wall where resistance starts mattering more. The thing is, those Falmer and draugr with frost resist are gonna be annoying no matter what - that's kind of the point of their resistances. Shock would help, but honestly you'd just run into shock-resistant enemies later and feel the same frustration.

What I'd do instead: keep frost as your main but add at least one shock spell to your rotation. You don't need to respec everything. Just grab a couple shock perks (the augment one and maybe the one that chains between enemies) and carry a shock spell for when frost isn't working. Takes like 4-5 perk points and solves the problem without abandoning your whole build.

Also make sure you're using the impact perk you already have - staggering enemies breaks their attacks and lets you keep casting. That matters way more than raw damage at Adept difficulty. And if you're not already, grab some utility: Quiet Casting so you can cast without alerting everything, and Mage Armor if you're running robes (doubles your magic resist per rank, scales with Alteration). Those carry you way further than just pumping damage numbers.

The other thing nobody talks about is positioning. Stay mobile, keep distance, use terrain. Frost mages actually have an advantage there because Impact staggers things - use it. Don't stand in one spot trading damage with a frost-resistant draugr. Back up, let it come to you, stagger it, reposition.

You're not hitting a hard wall. You just need to be a bit smarter about spell selection and playstyle. Pure frost works fine through the whole game if you play around resistances instead of trying to brute-force through them.
 
Back
Top